Thursday, October 20, 2011

sleepy weather days


Today was one of those crazy sleepy days and rainy stormy weather. One of my favourite kinds of days!
Perfect for sleeping in way too late, and pampering myself with a face and hair mask. Instead of watching Dirty Dancing for the 3 time this week, I decided to make some soup!

Without a recipe... and... I decided to actually write down my recipe, which I never do, and share it with y'all! This is most definitely a first for me, so we shall see how it goes.

So, with my country music blaring, fireplace on, and tea on standby, here is my blustery-day-inspired:
Acorn Squash, Sweet Potato, and Split-Pea Soup!
1 acorn squash
1 pear
1 apple
4 small onions
2 cloves garlic

2 cups yellow split peas
1 can pureed sweet potato
1 box (900ml) chicken broth
2 cups apple juice
8 cups water

1 tsp grated ginger
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp cayenne
Olive oil
Salt
Pepper.

In an oven-proof pan:
1 acorn squash cubed, 2 tblsp olive oil and 1 tsp salt & pepper.
Put in oven at 350 for 35 min.

Meanwhile, in large soup pot:
Saute: 1tblsp olive oil, spices, minced garlic, grated ginger, and thinly sliced onions.
Add: Split peas, water, sweet potato, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil.
Once squash is finished and cooled; peel squash and mash in with cubed apple and pear.
Add to soup pot.

Continue boiling mixture until split peas are tender, approx. 2hrs.

Then, just let me know what you think! : )


No comments:

Post a Comment