Monday, October 17, 2011

pride & prejudice

Currently, I'm halfway through Greg Mortenson's book Stones Into Schools, and its gotten me thinking about pride and prejudice... not the movie, I just thought it would be cool to title this "pride & prejudice" because that's my favourite movie : ).When I first understood that I may be going to the "stans" as I call them (Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, etc.) with YWAM, my fist thought was: where are those, who is there, and what am I supposed to do there?

Luckily I've found "Three Cups of Tea" and "Stones Into Schools". Through reading Greg's stories about the families he met and the children he helped, and the culture and people that he has grown to love, I've grown to love them too. Its really amazing.

When I first learned of the possibility of going to the Stans, I asked God to give me a heart for his people, because frankly, I didn't have one. Or at least not for all of them. I'm not saying I hate anyone, there's no one culture that I dislike or anything crazy like that. It was just an impartiality. To people I haven't met yet, people I don't know about, stories I haven't heard. I just didn't really care, because I didn't know enough too.
The fantastic, and sometimes painful thing, is that now I do know enough. Not about everyone, yet... I still have a lot more people to learn about and to know. But about the people of Afghanistan and Pakistan? I've been learning a lot. And I love them! I think they are so beautiful, and I hope I get the chance to go and witness their life at some point in mine. And secretly (not so much anymore) I cannot wait to try Salt Tea.. like what does that even taste like? p.s. I'm a HUGE tea-drinker... so I'm very curious.

Frankly I'm not sure where to take this post from here, I suppose I could end it...
THE END! ta-da

PS. If you haven't already ~ and I truly hope most of you are way ahead me on this ~ take the time to care, and to get to know the other people in our world. They're fascinating, and they have tons to pour into our lives, we are the ones that miss-out if we don't take that time

Until next time,
Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment