Thursday, November 10, 2011

fearful and wonderful

About a year ago, I stopped straightening my naturally very curly hair. I was getting split-ends, and was trying to grow my hair out, so I wanted to see if that would help repair my damaged hair.
A few months ago, I started to stop wearing makeup. It wasn't because I had flawless skin, but because my skin was starting to breakout, and I wanted to see if giving my skin "room to breathe" would help. 
A few weeks ago, I stopped washing my face with products, and went back to just regular tap water. My skin wasn't flawless, but I decided that maybe just letting it be all natural would help in the "airing out" of my skin. I didn't want to wash anything off my face that wasn't my own sweat or tears. 
A weeks ago, I stopped washing my hair with shampoo everyday, and reverted to conditioning it everyday, and shampooing once a week. I was finding my hair dry, and the damage, while better, hadn't entirely been repaired from all those days of straightening my hair. 


About a month ago I straightened my hair for the first time. Half way through I wanted to stop because I hated it, but was too lazy to go take a shower. I could see the beginning of split-ends the next day
This morning, I washed my hair with shampoo, my hair felt dry. 
Today I went to the salon with my mum. I hadn't gotten a haircut in 8 months. They barely needed to cut anything off, and I got my hair cut specifically for curly hair, so now if I straighten my hair, it won't actually look right, because its designed to be curly. 
I love it! best cut I have ever had. 
I was so excited, when I got home I decided to do a mini photoshoot of myself so that everyone could see it. 
I decided to put make-up on so that I wouldn't have to edit the pictures as much (we all do it, don't lie). 
It turns out I didn't need to edit the photos. My skin looked flawless despite the blemishes. The makeup, frankly, did hardly anything, except make my eyelashes appear on a picture. 
And, I couldn't wait to take that stuff off! 
Unfortunately, this involved make-up remover, face wash, toner and moisturizer, all for a teeny bit of foundation and eyeliner.
I washed my face afterwards with water to try and get that suffocated feeling off my skin. Frankly, when I looked in the mirror, I was just as pleased with my face then, as I was when it was make-up'd for my pictures


No makeup, no edits.

Make-up, no edits.

Makeup and edits.

Makeup, minimal edits... Mostly just to show-off my creativity : )
The first thought that popped into my head after telling y'all this, is "I'm not trying to brag and say that I'm beautiful or anything like that"...
Frankly that's a lie. I am beautiful. Naturally. I realize that I can dress up to go out-on-the-town, do my hair different than it normally is, and throw on some makeup to play up my features. But those are, my features. They would be there with or without the makeup.
Now I'm not trying to brag, and that's the truth, the only one that gets bragging rights for me, is God. 
"For you created my inmost being; You knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Your works are wonderful, I know that full well." 
Psalm 139:13-14 (NIV)
That, is the truth.
We need to start peeling back the layers, that people tell us we need so that we're beautiful. It can be fun! Like dress-up when you were a kid, but for it to be a habit? Something were we wake up earlier in the morning just so we can have time to "put on our face" that is crap folks. 

Become comfortable in your own skin, love your body, love your face, love your hair... don't cover it up! My skin may not be flawless, I have naturally rosy/blotchy cheeks, but its me! and its quirky and looks like pillow marks, but when you learn to love that quirkiness, than make-up becomes fun, and straightening your hair is an occasion, and that is a great feeling!


Not one of us, should ever feel or be convinced that we aren't fearfully and wonderfully beautiful. Because God, creator of the universe? Yah, HE says you are. And as far as I'm concerned, what He says, goes. 



No comments:

Post a Comment